Sunday, August 22, 2010

Money well spent?


Hey there folks I promised some more information on my recent estate sale finds from last week, so here it is. Since I've neglected to bring home pictures from my most recent firing I guess I'll have to fill you in on my new pile of "junk".
As I said in my last post I got one hell of a deal at an estate sale. 1960's kiln, pile of molds and greenware (mostly horrible kitsch crap), a lot of kiln furniture, some tools, and everything else a slipware artist from the 60's would need. I was only looking for kiln furniture, but I was forced into an all or nothing situation, and ended up with the all. I love going through piles of this stuff, there's usually some worthwhile tidbits if you have the time to dig through it all, and if not I still enjoy thinking about the time and effort someone put into their hobby. It's interesting how mainstream of a hobby ceramics use to be, entertainment now has been reduced to idle activities such as television, and most people no longer have a desire to create. Well, their loss is my gain, because I was able to buy all of this for $100!!!! Even if I never use this kiln I'll be able to sell it for at least $200 once I clean it up and test it, so I guess it was a good deal. Now I just have to learn to stop going to these sales or I won't have any room left in my shop to work.
You'll have to wait until next weekend to get pics of my recent work, so please stay tuned!


Thank you for reading - MatthewBruns.com -

No comments:

Post a Comment